General admission to the Museum and Art Gallery is free, while admission charges may apply to some exhibitions and programmes.
Admission charges for the New Zealand Rugby Museum can be found on the New Zealand Rugby Museum website.
- Pay and display public car parks are located on Main Street and directly in front of the main entrance of the Museum building on Main St.
- A bus drop off zone is also located in front of this entrance.
- Bus and van parking is available near the Child Youth and Family building on Church Street or on Pitt Street next to the Globe.
Important information for groups
It is important to keep to booking times and venues as early or late arrival will affect the quality of your visit and impact other booked groups.
Arrive in plenty of time for your programme and report to the reception desk in the Museum building. If you are booked for a programme, an educator will greet you in the foyer and guide you to the appropriate Education Room or gallery. For self lead groups a Visitor Host at reception is available to answer your questions.
Download Risk Analysis Management
There are three education rooms; two downstairs in the Museum building, and one upstairs in the Art Gallery. These rooms are used for education programmes in addition to using gallery and exhibition areas.
- Eating is permitted in a designated space (Wilkins Room level 1 Museum building). This area is available for classes to use as a venue for morning/afternoon tea and lunch but must be booked in advance. Please indicate when booking if you will require use of this room.
- The open courtyard between the Museum building and Art Gallery is available as a lunch area for students (weather permitting). Note this area is also open to the public.
- No food or drink is permitted in galleries or exhibition areas.
Trolleys to store students’ bags are available in the foyer of the Museum and Art Gallery for visiting groups. Ask a Visitor Host for access to these when you arrive. Do not leave valuables such as cameras, wallets in these trolleys or unattended in education rooms.
Make a group booking or enquiry